VHA Social Work
Intimate Partner Violence Assistance Program (IPVAP) - VETERANS & PARTNERS
Unhealthy behaviors include disrespect, inconsistent support, and dishonesty. Concerns in the relationship may be ignored or may turn into unresolved arguments. Boundaries and shared decision making may not be respected. One person may try to control or pressure the other.
- Experiencing unreliable support, empathy or respect for another person’s experience is not always given.
- Expecting the other person to “just know” what bothers them instead of talking about it.
- Ignoring concerns in the relationship.
- Relying on each other only; not socializing with family and friends.
- Pressuring the partner to share private information or invading the other person’s privacy.
- Using manipulation to get needs met.
- Experiencing dishonesty or distrust.
- Making assumptions around decisions such as finances and sex.
If any of these behaviors are familiar to you, reach out for help.
If you are experiencing IPV, and are seeking resources what can be done, go to the I'm Experiencing IPV page.