VHA Social Work
Intimate Partner Violence Assistance Program (IPVAP) - VETERANS & PARTNERS - What Is IPV?
Stalking - When a person frequently or continuously contacts, follows, talks to, or sends things to his/her partner when the other partner does not want them to do these things.
- Knowing your daily schedule
- Showing up at places you go
- Sending mail, e-mail, texts, or pictures
- Calling or texting repeatedly
- Cyber-stalking - Contacting you or posting about you on social networking sites (such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Creating a website about you
- Sending unwanted gifts
- Tracking you via GPS devices in your phone or car
- Gaining access to your email or social networking accounts
- Using force in any way that intimidates
- Monitoring your online behavior or cell phone communication (texts and phone calls)
- Download and review the Safety Planning Guide (pdf) for more information if you are being stalked or cyber-stalked.
- Some people experience only one form of intimate partner violence while others may experience many. Often IPV begins as infrequent mild emotional, verbal or coercive behavior, but it can escalate to become more frequent and severe. Intimate partner violence can be a single event or can occur on and off for many years.
- You do not have to be sure you are experiencing or using intimate partner violence to receive help from the Intimate Partner Violence Assistance Program.
For more information or assistance, contact your local Intimate Partner Violence Assistance Program, Primary Care Social Worker or other Provider. Women Veterans can also ask for the Women Veterans Program Manager.
Not yet a patient at VA? - Apply Now
Find help in the community by calling the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−7233 (SAFE) or TTY 1−800−787−3224.
If you or a loved one is in immediate danger, call 911
If you’re experiencing an emotional crisis or having thoughts of suicide, call the Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1 or TTY 1-800-799-4889
* Links with an asterisk (*) next to them will take you outside the VA website. VA is not responsible for the content of the linked site. This link does not constitute endorsement of the non-VA website or its sponsor.